Posting date 01-15.13
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT OF ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
Schreiner University is seeking a highly skilled, innovative, dynamic individual for the position of Assistant Vice President of Enterprise Technology Services (AVP). This individual provides vision and leadership in transforming and conducting the University's internal IT programs, and technology infrastructure, and service delivery. This is a new position and will report to the Vice President for Administration and Finance. The AVP of Enterprise Technology Services will serve as a change agent across the campus by emphasizing innovation, collaboration, communication, service, and improvement of client experiences. The ideal candidate will be a proven IT leader with extensive technology experience in higher education, who demonstrates these qualities as well as professional and personal integrity, and is committed to flexibility, and creativity.
The AVP of Enterprise Technology Services is responsible for planning, implementing, operating, and supporting information systems to achieve the strategic goals of the University through effective and cost efficient deployment of enterprise IT solutions. Responsibilities include directing all enterprise IT staff and operations, as well as the support and maintenance of existing infrastructure, applications, and the development of new technical solutions. As a working manager, the AVP is a technologist's position which also offers the responsibilities of leading a skilled staff, as well as opportunities for strategic planning for innovative technology solutions in higher education.
- Provides vision and leadership; explores and assesses the feasibility of new and emerging technologies that will meet the needs of today’s diverse campus and student populations and provides technologies and information systems that facilitates the achievement of the University’s mission;
- Provides strategic and tactical planning, budgeting planning and management;
- Develops, evaluates, and coordinates the information systems and technology infrastructure for the University; serves as project manager for all enterprise technology-based initiatives;
- Facilitates communication between faculty, staff, consultants, vendors, and other technology resources within the University community; serves on appropriate committees to represent enterprise technology;
- Establishes a client-centered culture and a demonstrated service commitment for IT staff and services; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all campus stakeholders;
- Develops, implements and maintains effective policies and practices for all enterprise technologies; ensures access, security and usage are in accordance with all University policies and applicable state and federal laws;
- Designs, implements, and evaluates systems that support clients in the productive use of computer hardware and software; oversees all computer operations, including local area networks, wide-area networks, and database services
- Develops and implements client training programs in use of enterprise systems;
- Oversees and evaluates enterprise system security and backup procedures. Develops and maintains current disaster recovery plan for all major information technology systems;
- Provides day-to-day supervision; selects, trains, mentors, supervises, and evaluates the enterprise technology staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent negotiation skills for acquisition of appropriate technologies;
- Mastery of principles of leadership and techniques of administration, organization, and management including an in-depth understanding of the strategic and operational issues affecting the University;
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate information technology projects and programs;
- Understanding of the potential of information technology to advance the mission of the University, combined with exceptional integrity, intelligence, maturity, and a commitment to diversity are essential;
- Comprehensive understanding of design, management, and operation of managed IT systems;
- Extensive working knowledge of all operating systems, database software, software development tools, and telecommunications systems in the higher education environment;
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal;
- Adequate technical knowledge and experience to lead the enterprise technology team;
- Thorough knowledge of current principles and practices for the management of information technologies, systems analysis, design and operation;
- An understanding of trends in information technology and the impact they have on higher education issues is essential;
- Thorough knowledge of emerging technologies including mobile devices, wireless access, social media, cloud computing, etc.;
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT security and the associated risks;
- Knowledge of regulatory issues related to security including but not limited to FERPA, HIPAA, PCI, HEOA and copyright laws;
- Comprehensive knowledge of voice, video and data networking and their associated technologies;
- Effective verbal and written communications skills, effective presentation skills and collaborative spirit, all geared toward service and facilitation of mission critical activities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- BA/BS Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related technical degree required. Additional professional experience and/or technical certifications are desirable. Master’s degree in related field is preferable
- Minimum 4-6 years professional experience in an IT management position in higher education required
- Project management experience required
- Experience soliciting organization feedback regarding technology services delivery and incorporating feedback for improvement
- Budget development and management experience required; ability to manage complex budgets and make effective financial decisions
Review of nominations and applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Candidate review will begin January 20, 2013, Ideally final selection will be made in March with a start date mid-April 2013.
How to apply:
All candidate materials must be submitted as a single PDF file (no larger than 5MB) via email to email@example.com. Please use the email subject line AVP ETS.
The file should include:
Letter of Interest
The names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
For questions, please contact Mary Woods, Director of Human Resource Services, by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 830.792.7375.
NOTE: This posting is the re-opening of a position put on hold in 2012; if you submitted materials then and want to continue to be considered, you do not need to resubmit your materials. You are welcome to email us at the address above to confirm that your application is still active.