Posting date 02.04.13
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Schreiner University invites applications and nominations for the position of the Dean of Students. This is a full-time staff position reporting to the Vice President for Academic affairs/Provost. Review of candidates will begin March 15, 2013 and continue until the position is filled. Ideally the successful candidate will start on June 1, 2013. Preference will be given to candidates with extensive management, supervisory and budgetary experience in the areas reporting to the Dean.
The Dean of Students is responsible for developing and coordinating student life programs with the objectives of enhancing student success and retention. Responsibilities include providing leadership in developing and implementing innovative programs which facilitate integration of the academic program with student life as well as providing oversight for the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and regulations pertaining to student life in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and ensuring that student rights and responsibilities are respected and considered by all policy-making bodies. As a distinguished leader on campus, the Dean of Students will also be an ambassador for the university with alumni, parents, prospective students, community and other institutions of higher education.
- Be available to serve as the point person on critical incidents involving student misconduct and/or issues of student safety or security;
- Advise and assist students who may be in crisis or struggling with personal or academic issues;
- Meet regularly with Student Senate president and other student leaders to stay abreast of issues and student-led initiatives;
- Assist in establishing a student culture where diversity is encouraged and where students learn to respect differences, take responsibility for their actions, and exercise leadership;
- Work collegially and collaboratively with academic leadership on shared goals for the first-year and undergraduate experience;
- Serve as appeals officer for student judicial hearings;
- Work closely with campus Title IX coordinator to facilitate effective Title IX investigations and actions;
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations related to areas of responsibility;
- Ensure appropriate level of understanding and utilization of technology among staff and programs;
- Provide appropriate and timely communications with parents of current and prospective students;
- Direct the preparation, supervision and allocation of all related departmental budgets;
- Serve on university committees as appointed by the president or the provost;
- Coordinate planning, assessment, and use of assessment for improvement for the Student Life area;
- Coordinate the selection, training, supervision and evaluation of all Student Life personnel, maintaining an ongoing staff development program;
- Approve final revisions of the Student Handbook annually;
- As approved by the Provost, teach courses and serve under the supervision of the appropriate division chair in the discharge of these duties;
- As requested, present reports directly to the Board of Trustees or one of its committees and serve as a liaison for the Student Life committee.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work with campus constituents on a variety of levels including students, staff, faculty, and parents;
- Familiarity with legal issues related to higher education and student affairs;
- Understanding of student judicial procedures;Knowledge of and appreciation for current technology and commitment to enhancing student life through the use of technology;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to organize and coordinate diverse units within an organization;
- Ability to be an effective team member, meet deadlines and handle administrative details.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) desirable; Master's degree required (in higher education, college student personnel or student development or related field);
- 5 years minimum extensive and progressively more responsible experience in student affairs programs. Prefer direct experience with areas reporting to the Dean of Students;
- Experience preparing, implementing, and accounting for multifaceted budget;
- Extensive management/supervisory experience.
Review of nominations and applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Ideally, the final selection will be made for a start date of June 1, 2013.
How to apply:
All candidate materials must be submitted as a single PDF file (no larger than 5MB) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the email subject line Dean of Students. The file should include:.
Letter of Interest
The names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
For questions, please contact Mary Woods, Director of Human Resource Services, by email email@example.com or by phone at 830.792.7375.
Human Resources Office
2100 Memorial Blvd.
Kerrville, Texas 78028