Posting date 02.23.17
Coordinator of MUlticultural Programs and Changing Global Society
- Promote and enhance the University’s current internationalization efforts: world language offerings through the Texas Language Consortium, recruitment of international students as residential students on campus, the Global Scholars living and learning community and the variety of study away experiences.
- Advise and direct the Global Scholars Living and Learning Community.
- Support the program’s goal of every SU student experiencing international programming on campus.
- Advocate for programming across campus that has an international focus and emphasis.
- Organize a variety of study away opportunities for students, including short-term and long-term experiences, individual and group experiences, and reciprocal exchange experiences.
- Provide expertise in securing travel arrangements, articulating crisis plans, and developing new study away opportunities.
- Chair the Study Abroad Task Force.
- Advise the campus community about new and emerging opportunities, and evaluate current international programs.
- Manage student records so that all first-time study away students have access to subsidized experiences.
- Encourage greater numbers of Schreiner students to engage in meaningful international and intercultural experiences.
- Assist with the collection of data related to program goals and outcomes through student/staff evaluations, as well as retention and academic performance information, create annual reports of assessment results to share with internal and external audiences.
- Oversee budgeting processes.
- Lead at least one study away (Global Scholars LLC) experience each year and support other faculty and staff in the field in their study away experiences.
- Support faculty exploration of new opportunities.
- Develop appropriate institutional partnerships.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a shared vision for the Schreiner Experience team.
- Stay abreast of national best practices relative to learning communities, assist in identifying and informing staff on national, regional and local educational issues impacting learning community students.
Freshman Advisor and Teaching
- Assist students in matters ranging from adapting to the university environment to giving guidance about academic programs and offering career planning.
- Be familiar with the undergraduate curriculum, as well as university rules and regulations.
- Communicate regularly with advisees; respond to students' queries and requests for help.
- Monitor student performance and participate in retention interventions as coordinated from the Retention Office.
- Teaching Effectiveness – provides current course syllabus, communicate course expectations, maintains knowledge in course content, communicates effectively, motivates students, responds to student needs, accepts responsibility for student outcomes, performs self-evaluation, and allows for student evaluation.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Proven, successful experience in undergraduate education and excellence in teaching.
- Experience in academic advising and mentoring of undergraduates
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
- Eligible to work in and travel freely to and from the US, i.e. valid passport
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.
- A broad understanding of and experience in globalism and cross-cultural activities.
- Experience working with the development and implementation of global and multicultural learning experiences.
- Experience with building cultural bridges between diverse groups of students.
- Demonstrated awareness of transition issues of students entering higher education.
- Demonstrated awareness of issues facing international students and commitment to diversity.
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal communication skills, presentation skills and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and creatively to build new program elements.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.