Posting date 06.23.14
COORDINATOR OF FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
- Work closely with the Academic Deans, Dean of Students and Dean of Student Success to advance college priorities for improved student persistence and a transformed first-year experience.
- Coordinate the activities of the First-Year Experience task force.
- Work with instructors to improve the utility of first-year seminars as a retention tool.
- Work with Academic Support Services, the Career Center, and academic departments on transforming academic advising to support a transformed first-year experience.
- Work with Academic departments and Student Services departments on first-year experience programming.
- Work with service offices to utilize a full range of campus resources to support first-year success.
- Design, organize, and implement a Student Orientation Program that begins to connect first-year students to the University and fellow students.
- Serve as a direct advisor to first-year students.
- Work with and advise the Academic Deans and Dean of Students on translating the gains from a transformed first-year experience into improved student experiences during the sophomore year and in major programs.
- Coordinate the curriculum and faculty for University Learning Communities to include in-service training and monitoring course quality and congruence.
- Assessment of all areas related to the First Year Experience.
- Facilitate personal and professional development of staff and students in such that they are effective role models, mentors, and leaders for the freshman class.
- Serve as a means for students to learn about campus and community resources.
- Attend all Student Services meetings and training.
- Be a resource for first-year students: respond to concerns, questions, and other issues from students, parents, University officials, and others in a positive, professional manner that supports the University, its vision, and mission.
- Perform other special tasks, projects, and duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean.
- Contribute to team efforts within Student Services division.
- Provide a monthly report to the Assistant Dean.
- Stay informed as to new trends and issues in FYE through professional associations.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel or closely related field is preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years experience in working directly with freshmen programs or orientation.
- Previous supervisory experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to work with minimum structure and guidance.
- Must have solid problem-solving skills.
- Willing and able to take initiative.
- Ability to facilitate multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Knowledge of computer software such as Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel. Able to quickly learn other University specific software programs.
- Knowledge of student and/or human development strongly desired.
- Experience living in a group setting expected.
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
Human Resources Office
2100 Memorial Blvd.
Kerrville, Texas 78028
Download or print the employment application
Return to Job Postings main page