Posting date 07.12.2017
Student Success Coach
Schreiner University’s student success coaches are a cornerstone of our student success initiatives. The Student Success Coach will be primarily responsible for supporting undergraduates’ academic success and student engagement via one to one academic and non-academic coaching, meetings, academic skills/engagement programs and workshops, and developing print and web-based materials. Coaching empowers students to achieve a sustainable shift in thinking and performance that motivates them through the discovery of their strengths, values and passions. Coaches meet with students to assist in the organization and planning of academic, personal, social, and professional commitments and to provide support for accomplishing short- and long-term goals associated with those commitments, leading to academic success. The Student Success Coach will assist the Center for Qualitative Learning (CQL) Coordinator in planning and coordinating interactive and dynamic academic support programs for all STEM students and other student cohorts (e.g. STEM LLC, transfer students, students on academic probation), facilitate their delivery, and collect data to assess and measure their success. This position includes working with diverse groups of students and staff and therefore a demonstrated commitment to diversity and student success is critical. Facilitator must be able to respond effectively to multiple and changing priorities; they collaborate with staff/faculty across campus and colleagues outside the institution to promote best practices in the academic environments. This position is part of an HSI STEM grant.
- Knowledge of student development and resources to promote student success.
- Genuinely excited about building professional/Mentor relationships with students who are taking charge of their own education and striving for better opportunities.
- Developed sense of empathy and understanding regarding learning styles.
- Build rapport with the Center for Teaching and Learning, the Center for Digital Learning, the Center for Advising and Career Development, and the Library to integrate academic support services, campus resources, transition into graduate programs and the workforce, and appropriate pedagogical learning experiences (both curricular and co-curricular) into CQL.
- Provide assistance to the CQL Coordinator in the assessment of core student learning outcomes.
- Commitment to supporting the needs of the students.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Help promote and establish diversity as a core value for Schreiner University.
- Partner with University Relations to develop internal and external promotional materials.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct workshops, and trainings as needed.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of data for the HSI-STEM grant reports.
- Work nights and weekends as needed.
- Maintain University safety rules.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Required: Bachelor's degree in a field relevant to Schreiner University programs of study.
- Some teaching experience required; advising and prior experience in post-secondary education preferred.
- Successful project management experience.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, computer database, writing and communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
- Background in student development theory and practice preferred.
- Prefer candidate with experience in success coaching/mentoring, advising, curriculum development, and optimization and integration of University resources.