Faculty & Staff Resources
The information on this page is for Schreiner University faculty and staff who are planning to lead a student trip, either domestically in the U.S. or abroad.
Documents available on this page:
- Topics Course Proposal
- Course-Related Travel Addendum
- International Travel Waiver
- Domestic Overnight Travel Waiver
- "15 Best Practices for Leading Student Travel"
Faculty-Led Trip Application Process
If you're thinking of leading a trip, the process is as follows:
- Complete the appropriate Academic Affairs form:
- Topics Course Proposal, for general purposes
- Course Change Proposal, for a change in the establish curriculum
- New Course Proposal, for the introduction of a new course that includes travel
- If your trip is not related to a course, please complete the Course-Related Travel Addendum listed in the next point and consult the Coordinator of Changing Global Society.
- Complete the Course-Related Travel Addendum.
- Submit both the Academic Affairs form and Course-Related Travel Addendum to your chair and dean for their approval and signatures.
- Upon approval, the dean sends the forms to the Coordinator of Changing Global Society.
- Course and trip applications will be evaluated twice a year by the Coordinator of Changing Global Society and the Student Travel Committee who will make their recommendations to the Provost.
- Upon approval, the Provost will send the course proposal to the Academic Affairs Committee approximately one month after the deadlines listed below.
Application Deadlines for Faculty-Led Travel:
- October 1 for courses running the following summer and fall semesters
- March 1 for courses running the following spring
Note: Early applications are encouraged and may be submitted up to four years in advance. Courses that run on a recurring basis need to submit updated materials each year the trip is slated to run.
Funding Faculty-Led Trips
Funding for faculty-led trips is determined by the Coordinator of the Changing Global Society, the Dean of Students, and the Provost. A travel budget is allotted to fund faculty-led trips at Schreiner University, though this funding will vary from trip to trip. For more information, visit the Faculty-Led Trips web page.
15 Best Practices for Leading Student Travel
Please review the document 15 Best Practices for Leading Student Travel (updated January 2015)
There are certain conditions under which liability waivers must be signed by participants, whether those participants are students, Schreiner employees, or community members:
- If you are leading a faculty-led trip abroad: International Travel Waiver
- If the trip includes domestic overnight travel: Domestic Overnight Travel Waiver
- If the trip is inherently dangerous (if you are unsure if your trip falls under this category, contact Bill Muse, the Vice President for Administration and Finance): Inherent Danger Travel Waiver
- If the trip is both inherently dangerous and includes domestic overnight travel: Domestic Overnight Travel / Inherent Danger Travel Waiver
See more guidelines on liability and student travel.
Traveling With Other Types of Students
- Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs): If you're traveling with an RSO, please review and observe this travel policy.
- Athletes: For information on traveling with Schreiner student athletes, please contact Ron Macosko, Director of Athletics by phone (830) 792-7482 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Driving Schreiner Students
Drivers are required to become institution-authorized if the student group or activity is associated with Schreiner University, the activity has been authorized by Schreiner University, or funding for the activity passes through Schreiner University or its accounts. If you are an institution-authorized driver, you do not need to collect liability forms from students you are transporting unless your travel falls into one of the four waiver-required travel categories (see Liability Waivers above). To become an institution-authorized driver contact Bill Muse, Vice President for Administration and Finance.