Writing Center - Application
Application for Tutors
Writing Center tutors will approach writing as a process, and will help writers to work on the cognitive issues of focus, tone, organization, and development before dealing with other paper issues. Tutors should be people who really want to listen to their peers in order to help them develop ideas in a way that will effectively communicate purpose. Tutors will help to reinforce the ongoing learning process through vibrant discussions of student writing.
- Sophomore, Junior, Senior status with a GPA of 3.0.
- A writing sample. The writing sample should be a paper that you have written for another class that you feel good about; it should not be a piece of creative writing, but rather a formal essay.
- A letter of application. This letter should address why you want to tutor and should also introduce your writing sample.
- A completed application form.
- Good oral communication skills and a positive attitude about helping other people.
- A strong ethical character and a sense of responsibility.
- Tutor students.
- Write conference summary forms clearly and concisely, and file them in an orderly, easily accessible way.
- Attend training sessions and seminars. (This will require you to read some materials about tutoring.)
- Punctuality about work, meetings and reporting off sick.
Return completed application to:
Kirsten Komara, Ph.D.
Director, Writing Center
2100 Memorial Blvd., Kerrville, TX 78028
208 Dickey Hall, CMB 6254