Education - Apply
Students are required to complete a formal application with the Teacher Education Office at Schreiner University. Application may be made once the prospective candidate has acquired at least 60 semester hours of college credit. See Schreiner's Academic Calendar for the deadline each semester.
Requirements for Admission to Schreiner Teacher Education Program:
• 60 semester hours accumulated (junior standing)
• GPA of 2.75 overall college work
• GPA of 2.75 in teaching field (specialization)
• Completion of a STEP interview
• Signed degree plan on file with Registrar's Office
• Three letters of recommendation
• Approval of STEP application by the Teacher Education Committee
• GPA of 3.0 in all education courses
• Signed Texas Code of Ethics on file in Teacher Education
• Documentation of passing scores on THEA
For an application or additional information:
TEACHER EDUCATION ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Teacher Education Office
Schreiner University, 2100 Memorial Blvd.
Kerrville, TX 78208
Phone: (830) 792-7455
Location: Alumni House
Student Teaching Application Information
After admission to Teacher Education and successful completion of certain required courses in the professional education sequence (see Curriculum), students seeking certification must apply for admission to Student Teaching. Application forms are available in the Teacher Education Office, Hoon Hall, Schreiner University campus.
• Previously admitted to the teacher education program
• Apply during the spring of junior year or post-graduate standing
• A minimum 2.75 GPA in each teaching field or specialization; a minimum 3.00 GPA in professional development (EDUC) courses; and a minimum cumulative 2.75 for all college work
• Satisfactory completion and documentation of 50 or 60 hours of pre-student teaching experience including 30 hours of field based experience before student teaching
• Recommendations from current course professors and advisor
• Continued evidence of personal and professional qualities necessary for success as a classroom teacher measured by the Fitness to Teaching Checklist.
• Complete fingerprinting process before starting student teaching
Neva V. Cramer, Ph.D.
Director of Teacher Education
ph: (830) 792-7266
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION TO SCHREINER TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM (STEP) STUDENT TEACHING