Education - Apply
Students are required to complete a formal application with the Teacher Education Office at Schreiner University. Application may be made once the prospective candidate has acquired at least 60 semester hours of college credit. See Schreiner's Academic Calendar for the deadline each semester.
Requirements for Admission to Schreiner Teacher Education Program:
- 60 semester hours accumulated (junior standing)
- GPA of 2.75 overall college work
- GPA of 2.75 in teaching field (specialization)
- Completion of a formal interview with the Director of Education or Director of Field Experience
- Signed degree plan on file with Registrar's Office
- Three letters of recommendation
- Approval of application by the Teacher Education Committee
- GPA of 3.0 in all education courses including EDUC, RDNG, SPED, and secondary methods courses in content area
- Signed Texas Code of Ethics on file in Teacher Education
- Documentation of passing scores on THEA with state passing scores of 220 in writing, 230 in reading, and 230 in math
- Have a completed Application for Teacher Education, including an essay on philosophy of education and a FERPA statement, on file in the Teacher Education Office.
For an application or additional information:
Teacher Education Office
Schreiner University, 2100 Memorial Blvd.
Kerrville, TX 78208
Phone: (830) 792-7455
Location: Alumni House
Student Teaching Application Information
After admission to Teacher Education and successful completion of certain required courses in the professional education sequence (see Curriculum), students seeking certification must apply for admission to Student Teaching. Application forms are available in the Teacher Education Office, Alumni House, Schreiner University.
Admission Criteria for Clinical Teaching:
• Previously admitted to Teacher Education Program
• Apply during the spring of junior year or post-graduate standing
• A minimum 2.75 GPA in each teaching field or specialization; a minimum 3.00 GPA in professional development (EDUC, RDNG, and SPED ) courses; and a minimum cumulative 2.75 for all college work
• Satisfactory completion and documentation of 50 or 60 hours of service learning experience including 30 hours of outside field based experience
• Recommendations from current course professors and advisor
Continued evidence of personal and professional qualities necessary for success as a classroom teacher
• Successful completion of the state TExES content exam
• Completed background check and fingerprinting process