We want you to make the right choice when you choose a college.
We want to make sure you're the RIGHT FIT for Schreiner.
Here are 5 reasons why Schreiner may be the right place for you:
1. Small University
When you ask students what they like most about Schreiner, they always mention that they like the small, personal atmosphere and the small class sizes. Schreiner University is a small university and we like it that way. With approximately 1,000 students on campus and a 13:1 student to faculty ratio, students get the attention they deserve.
- Tailor a major to meet future employment goals
- Design an internship or senior capstone project
- Take a select course in a self-paced format (personalized instruction)
- Work with an advisor or the Career Services Center to determine the best major to pursue
- Get tutoring in any class for FREE
- Park on campus for FREE
Margie D. got an internship
in her field ... more >
Schreiner professors take a special interest in students' needs and learning styles. It's also important to mention that while other universities employ graduate students and Teaching Assistants (TA's) to teach their classes, at Schreiner all of our classes are taught by actual professors, most of whom hold the highest degrees in their field. So, while your peers at larger universities will never even meet their professors, at Schreiner you'll know yours by their first names!
2. Big Education
Schreiner may be small in size, but you'll receive a big education. Schreiner offers 27 majors, and graduates in our pre-professional majors like pre-law, pre-med, pre-veterinary and pre-dentistry have over a 95% acceptance rate into prestigious graduate-level programs in their area of study. Plus, US News and World Report called Schreiner one of the best values in regional liberal arts universities of the western US.
Use what you learn and put your knowledge to work:
- Examine your interests, habits and skills to make college a successful experience in the freshmen Inter-disciplinary Studies (IDST) course
- Study in a foreign country like Spain, Mexico, England, Chile, Egypt, Germany or Japan
- Intern with industry leaders like Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, Food & Drug Administration, VA Hospital, Anderson, Bechtel Corporation, UT Health Science Centers, etc.
- Participate in an honors program
- Design and run perceptual and cognitive experiments in our behavioral psychology lab
- Use specialized lab equipment like gas chromatography, ultraviolet spectroscopy, high performance liquid chromatography, etc.
- Present original work at the Popular Culture Symposium
- Join nationally-recognized honor societies like Alpha Lambda Delta (Freshman honor society), Sigma Tau Delta (English honor society) and Kappa Mu Epsilon (Math honor society)
- Refine your Critical Thinking, study Aesthetics and get a Global perspective
- Schreiner students do original research, scholarship and creative works and have the right tools to accomplish their goals
Our Financial Aid office is dedicated to making a Schreiner education affordable for any student. Although Schreiner is a private Texas university, the actual difference in tuition and fees between Schreiner University and the average major public school in Texas is only $1950. We'll work with you to find the money for college that you need. Financial aid at Schreiner University begins with our institutional merit scholarship. Every full-time undergraduate freshman receives a merit scholarship upon acceptance. The amount of this scholarship is determined by the student’s all-round high school performance. For Fall 2008, the average institutional merit scholarship was $7,496. See a case study on the affordability of Schreiner tuition here .
Additional financial aid may be available, including a range of academic scholarships, the Hill Country College Fund, as well as Federal and State student loans and grants that are available for eligible students who complete the FAFSA each year.
Over 95% of our undergraduate students receive some form of financial aid (academic and needs-based scholarships, grants, loans, work study), and the average aid package of students with demonstrated need is over $19,000. Read more about financial aid for school at Schreiner University here .
4. The University Experience
First-year students at Schreiner never feel left out or alone. Before the school year even begins, freshmen bond during Mountaineer Days and Welcome Week. During these orientation days, students attend seminars where they learn about themselves and others.
Ice-breakers, hikes, river rafting, the ropes course and team building activities like the "human-knot" and "Texas skis" help students form a lasting relationship with one another that will last for years after graduation. Peer Advisors are upperclassmen that guide you through your transition through your first year at college.
Interesting facts about student life:
- Over 60% of Schreiner students live on campus.
- There are 4 traditional, co-ed, resident halls and one co-ed, apartment-style residence hall on campus.
- There are 38 different registered student organizations on campus - everything from Bike Club to Student Senate, from national fraternities and sororities to Campus Ministry.
- Schreiner is completely wireless.
- Student Activities provides non-stop entertainment for students - like comedians, live music, hypnotists, bingo (for big prizes like DVD's and TV's).
- Campus Recreation provides even MORE non-stop entertainment every day of the week: kayaks, ski trips and more! Many participate in intramural sports, like flag-football, co-ed softball, billiards and frisbee golf for fun and competition.
- The Schreiner Mountaineers participate in NCAA Division III athletics in 13 different sports. Almost 30% of the student body participates in athletics at this level.
- Feeling under the weather? Stop by the Health and Wellness Center for first-aid treatment, health and guidance issues and information on nutrition, stress management, eating disorders, fitness, relationship issues, etc.
- The Cailloux Campus Activity Center is a great place to hang out and have fun on campus, play pool, listen to the juke box, grab a snack at The Lion's Den, catch a movie, work-out in the fitness center or aerobics room, or just sit by the fireplace and have a cup of coffee with friends.
5. The Texas Hill Country
Schreiner University is nestled in the midst of the beautiful Texas hill country, which provides an excellent backdrop for the 170-acre campus facility. At Schreiner, white-tailed deer roam the campus, professors often teach under the shade trees by the river and a host of outdoor activities await outdoor adventurers.
Kerrville is a resort town of approximately 20,425 residents. It's large enough to provide the conveniences of nearby shopping centers, theatres, cultural art museums and popular restaurants in a safe, relaxed setting. San Antonio, the ninth largest city in the US, is less than an hour's drive away, and Austin is only an hour-and-a-half away.
Schreiner has campus activities, sports and a supportive local community that's compelling. Why not see it for yourself. Schedule a campus visit with your admission counselor and plan to stay in Kerrville to experience the local flavor.