Future Students:  Veterans Benefits

Chapters 30, 33, 35 & 1606 Veteran’s Benefits    

Are you a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? If so, you may qualify for Veteran's Education Benefits. For more information about the GI Bill, please go to www.gibill.va.gov.

How to apply for Veteran's Benefits
There are several steps that must be completed before you can receive veteran's benefits.

Step 1: Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits (form 22-1990) or the Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (form 22-5490). If you are transferring from another school at which you received VA benefits, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (form 22-1995).

Step 2: This form must be submitted to:
Veteran's Administration
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

At Schreiner University, we prefer that you file the form on-line. It will take approximately 60 days for the application to be processed.

Step 3: Request Military Transcripts and submit DD214 to the Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University for credit evaluation.

Step 4: Submit your letter of eligibility to the Office of Financial Aid. This letter will allow us to coordinate your benefits and determine if you are eligible to receive Yellow Ribbon funding for any cost not covered by your VA educational benefits.

Step 5: The Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University certifies your enrollment status. The certification progress requires that we have on file a degree plan for every student receiving veteran's educational benefits. You must meet with your advisor as soon as possible after beginning attendance at Schreiner but no later than the end of the first semester to complete your degree plan. The VA will only allow us to certify courses that are listed on your degree plan and we cannot certify retakes of classes.

Please note: If you change your degree plan, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (form 22-1995).

Step 6: Notify the Office of Financial Aid whenever you add or drop a class, or withdraw from the university. We are required to notify the VA within 30 days of any changes in enrollment.

The Admissions Counselors will guide you through the admissions process.

As we move through the process, we will consider you for any need based aid you qualify for when you submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to us. Our school code is 003610.

We offer an Outside Scholarship Program where our Financial Aid office actively works with students on applying for outside scholarships. Before you are an active Schreiner student, there are a couple of ways for you to get this information. You can "friend" us on Facebook or you can watch for our group emails to come out.

Please contact the Financial Aid office with any questions about loans. You can reach us at finaid@schreiner.edu, 1-800-343-4919 or 830-792-7217, or visit us in person in the Welcome Center. Our office is open Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm.

We are here to help you every step of the way.

The Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University is committed to assisting students in obtaining the best financial aid award possible. However, it is the student’s responsibility to comply with all requirements necessary to complete the financial aid process. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid is not responsible for the student's financial obligations to Schreiner University. Each student must verify their account balance and make arrangements for any amounts not covered by financial aid.