Future Students - Veterans Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31    

If you have a service connected disability, you may qualify for educational assistance from the Veteran's Administration through the Vocational Rehabilitation program. Application must be made to the San Antonio Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment office and interviews are required.

If you are certified as eligible to receive educational assistance through this program, the VA will pay for the following:

Tuition: Tuition will be paid for any classes that you take that are on an approved degree plan. The degree plan must be approved by the VA and the classes certified by the Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University before tuition can be paid.

Fees: Student Activity and technology fees will be paid for along with any fees related to a course that is required to complete your degree plan.

Books: Books that are required are covered by the benefit. However, those that are recommended but NOT required are not covered and are the responsibility of the student.

Supplies: Pen, paper and other various supplies up to a maximum of $50 per semester will be covered. Supplies beyond $50 such as art supplies that are REQUIRED for the class will be covered. Any other purchases must be approved by your VA counselor before purchased or you may be responsible for these charges.

What must you do to get these benefits?

Step 1: Once accepted for admission, meet with your academic advisor and complete a degree plan. Provide a copy of that degree plan to both the VA and the Office of Financial Aid.

Step 2: Apply for and be certified as eligible to receive these benefits by the San Antonio Department of Veteran's Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment office. Until a signed rehabilitation plan is completed and signed by your counselor and case manager, you are not considered a Chapter 31 participant.

Step 3: Bring your Authorization and Certification of Entrance and Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status form (form 28-1905) to the Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University

Step 4: Register for classes and give a copy of your class schedule to the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid will certify your enrollment as soon as you are registered for classes and have provided form 28-1905 covering the semester for which you are registered. Should you add or drop a class or change your enrollment status in any way, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid immediately. The Office of Financial Aid can only certify those courses that are applicable to your degree plan. Tuition for courses taken that are not approved and/or are not on the degree plan is the responsibility of the student. This process must be completed each semester. The VA must approve any retake of classes before certification can be made. Classes taken for audit cannot be certified.

Step 5: Once you have graduated with your degree - request from the Schreiner University Registrar that an official academic transcript be sent to the San Antonio VA office.

Please note: You will be required to meet with your VA case manager at least twice a year to maintain eligibility.

For more information, you may also call 1-210-699-2100 or visit: http://www.southtexas.va.gov/scd/Tejeda.asp

The Admissions Counselors will guide you through the admissions process.

As we move through the process, we will consider you for any need based aid you qualify for when you submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to us. Our school code is 003610.

We offer an Outside Scholarship Program where our Financial Aid office actively works with students on applying for outside scholarships. Before you are an active Schreiner student, there are a couple of ways for you to get this information. You can befriend us on Facebook and receive those notifications almost as soon as our current students do, or you can watch for our group emails to come out.

Free money is good and we want to help you get as much as possible to help pay for your college education before we move onto other options. Here are other finance options to consider.

We have work study jobs and other job opportunities.

And we process student and parent loans through the federal government and the state government.

As you go through the process, we have a cost of attending (COA) worksheet that will help you determine your true bottom line to attend Schreiner University.

Please contact the Financial Aid office with any questions about loans. You can reach us at finaid@schreiner.edu, 1-800-343-4919 or 830-792-7217, or visit us in person in the Welcome Center. Our office is open Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm.

We are here to help you every step of the way.

The Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University is committed to assisting students in obtaining the best financial aid award possible. However, it is the student’s responsibility to comply with all requirements necessary to complete the financial aid process. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid is not responsible for the student's financial obligations to Schreiner University. Each student must verify their account balance and make arrangements for any amounts not covered by financial aid.