Schreiner Mansion Historic Site and Education Center

Schreiner Mansion

Captain Charles Schreiner's stately mansion is one of Kerrville's most historic buildings and is listed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks. Located in Kerrville's downtown historical district next to the former Schreiner's Department Store building, the mansion was designed by well-known San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, whose trademark limestone designs are seen throughout that city and the Hill Country. The first phase of construction was begun in 1879, the second in 1895, and the third added porches and archways in 1897.

Captain Schreiner was one of the pioneer giants who shaped the Hill Country. His Kerrville home represents the solid community standing it’s owner earned throughout his lifetime, starting out as an aristocratic but fatherless 14-year-old Alsatian immigrant in a new country, and maturing into a respected Texas Ranger, mercantile businessman, banker and rancher. His famous Y.O. Ranch near Mountain Home in West Kerr County is still operated by his descendants.

The first phase of construction was begun in 1879, the second in 1895, and the third added porches and archways in 1897. Captain Charles Schreiner led the community in banking, ranching and mercantile activities.

The former home of Charles Schreiner is located in Kerrville's downtown historical district next to the now closed Schreiner's Department Store building at 226 Earl Garrett Street. Learn more about the Schreiner Mansion's history.

In 1923, Charles Schreiner donated 140 acres & $100,000 for a boys' military high school and two-year college known as Schreiner Institute. In 2000, the school formally became Schreiner University, a four-year private liberal arts college.

©