Apply Today

Future Students: Veterans FAQ's



I think I have veterans education benefits. How can I find out?

The first step is to apply for benefits through the VA website:  If you are the veteran, you can research your best options, and apply via the online VONAPP application. If you are a dependent, your parent will need to apply and list you as a recipient of their benefits. As the beneficiary, you will also have to apply for the educational benefit.

Are you a Yellow Ribbon school? How does it work?
Yes, Schreiner University is a Yellow Ribbon school. We have committed to providing more than $4,000 per student in scholarship funds to any eligible VA recipient.

Yellow Ribbon awards and any Schreiner merit aid are both tuition specific. Students on VA benefits and Yellow Ribbon are not eligible to receive merit aid within the same semester.

Yellow Ribbon is for undergraduate students only - not veterans in graduate programs.

What VA benefits are accepted at Schreiner?

  • Chapter 30
  • Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab benefits)
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 benefits)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependent benefits)
  • Chapter 1606 (Reserves benefits)
  • Chapter 1607 (REAP - Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

What VA benefits are NOT accepted at Schreiner? 
Unfortunately, the Hazelwood Act offers veteran benefits to state universities and not private institutions. 

What other Veteran scholarships are available?   click here

What’s a degree plan? And why do I need one?  
You may complete your first semester without submitting a degree plan. However, to receive VA benefits past the first term, you must have a signed degree plan on file with the VA coordinator and the registrar. This degree plan outlines what courses are eligible for VA funding. Courses not on your degree plan will not be certified.

What’s a Letter of Eligibility? And why does my VA counselor want to see it?
Once your application has been submitted and reviewed by the VA, they will mail you a Letter of Eligibility. You must provide a copy of this letter to your school. It lists your file number, chapter, length and percentage of benefits. This is important information used to determine your financial aid and VA benefits at your institution.

How do I get my military transcripts? Why do you need them?
All veterans utilizing VA educational benefits are required to submit military transcripts. These transcripts are evaluated for potential college credit which will save you time and money. 

AARTS Transcripts required for Soldiers and Veterans of the Army, Army National Guard, and US Army Reserve:  

SMART Transcripts required for Navy and Marine Corps: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans:

Air Force Transcripts:

Who is the VA counselor on campus? 
For additional information concerning the Yellow Ribbon Campaign and all VA-related questions please contact Donna Keeling, Veteran Student Services Coordinator via email

The Office of Financial Aid at Schreiner University is committed to assisting students in obtaining the best financial aid award possible. However, it is the student’s responsibility to comply with all requirements necessary to complete the financial aid process. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid is not responsible for the student's financial obligations to Schreiner University. Each student must verify their account balance and make arrangements for any amounts not covered by financial aid.